Head of retail
To work across UK retail with businesses (large and small), legislators, partners and other key stakeholders to drive forward thinking change, innovation and collaboration – positioning GS1 standards as a key enabler of business progress and performance.
- Build our reputation – act as an ambassador advocating our purpose and how we solve industry challenges. Enhance GS1 UK’s brand positioning, increasing its relevance within the retail sectors through relevant, targeted networking and collaboration with key top of mind issues.
- Champion the needs - understand the requirements of UK retail including key players, government, regulators and the macro conditions (global and local) that affect them. Identify realistic opportunities for growth in GS1 standards and application in the retail industry. Build effective relations with credible thought leaders and external providers/partners for the benefit of GS1 UK and the sector.
- Engage and collaborate – identify key influencers, bring industry stakeholders together, define business case (ROI) and execute industry strategies. Manage the portfolio of all programmes across the sector as agreed by our industry groups and three-year plan. Hold others to account for delivery and have an action and output focused approach to delivery.
- Deliver value – grow our clear and cohesive value proposition for the retail market according to our plan, the needs of our collective members, drawing on GS1 global activities where appropriate. Develop demand pull strategies that will drive results and add value to industry including within the regulation/policy space.
- Adoption – develop go to market strategies (with industry) and execution programmes to deliver key KPIs and milestones. Execute and move progress forward at pace in a way that adds value externally will be key.
- Develop relationships and advocacy with our key members around the long-term strategic vision for the retail sector.
- Work across a cross organisational team to ensure alignment with the (relevant) market strategy, taking accountability for the execution and delivery of the plan. Enable other teams to succeed and progress.
- Responsible for delivering agreed programmes and KPIs from the overall retail and GS1 UK Operating Plan
Background and experience
- A good understanding of the retail value chain and good understanding of consumer challenges.
- Solid experience spent either working with grocery FMCG - experience working with a branded manufacturer essential.
- Extensive knowledge of the retail sector, their partners and trading communities
- Consumer facing experience understanding the needs of the end consumer
- Digital bias with experience in how to embrace digital, technology & innovation to meet the needs of consumers
- Fully conversant in the key trends affecting retailers and their communities and able to articulate how the adoption of key GS1 standards would add value
- Proven track record of working collaboratively within cross-functional teams to deliver against strategic plans
- Has a bias for action and delivery against clearly agreed action plans
- Commercial and business development experience
- Experience of landing strategies and visions, working and influencing cross functionally and managing delivering high profile projects at scale.
Personal strengths and style
- Able to engage and communicate effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to make decisions and lead progress though clear and consistent messaging across all stakeholders
- Ability to create and build long term relationships with stakeholders in the industry
- Ability to remain focused on core value propositions and deliver
- Excellence - strive to deliver beyond expectations
- Professional - ethical, honest and respectful
- Collaborative - building partnerships through open communications
- Passion for progress – ability to excite and inspire