Serial Shipping Container Code (SSCC)
The Serial Shipping Container Code can be used by companies to identify a logistic unit, which can be any combination of trade items packaged together for storage and/or transport purposes; for example a case, pallet or parcel.
What can you do with a SSCC
- The SSCC is a crucial key for traceability, since it uniquely identifies each distributed logistic unit and its content.
- The SSCC enables companies to track each logistic unit for efficient order and transport management.
- The SSCC can be encoded in a barcode or EPC/RFID tag, ensuring the logistic unit can be accurately and easily identified as it travels between trading partners, anywhere in the world.
- When SSCC data is shared electronically via EDI or EPCIS, this enables companies to share information about the status of logistic units in transit, and reliably link it to related transport information such as shipment details.
You will find relevant application standards and guidelines listed below:
Transport & Logistics
- GS1 Identification Keys in Transport & Logistics Guideline
- GS1 Identification Keys in Transport & Logistics - Interactive User Guide
- GS1 Logistics Label Guideline
- GS1 General Specifications