Improve patients’ safety and efficiency with our standards
We enable the healthcare sector to improve patient safety and supply chain efficiencies through deploying and implementing our global standards. The GS1 System is the most widely used set of supply chain standards in the world and is used by your industry.
Using GS1 standards will enable you to identify, capture, and share information on your medicine, medical devices, assets and returnable equipment automatically.
The standards: bar codes and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags can help you identify patients and staff as well as delivery and requisition locations to improve patient safety and supply chain efficiency whilst saving your organisation costs.
- Reduce errors by using bar codes and RFID tags to match the right patient to the right treatment
- Track medication so your patient receives the right dose at the right time
- Prevent counterfeit medication entering your hospital by identifying and tracing them in the supply chain effectively
- Protect patients from harmful medication with accurate product identification, efficient recalls and withdrawals
- Reduce data errors on your patient and inventory records with accurate product data
- Reduce paperwork and manual processing and enable staff to spend more time caring for patients
- Replenish stocks automatically and take away need for manual ordering and counting
- Only buy new assets when you need them as you know what you have and where it is
- Deliver cost savings and be more efficient with greater data integrity
- Reinvest savings into further improving patient care
Many NHS hospitals have already successfully implemented GS1 standards including: Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Airedale NHS Trust, Birmingham Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (Bar coding and RFID).
Register and start using your unique GS1 numbers in your hospital – free for NHS trusts in England.
T: 020 7092 3500
Useful documents & links