Global Individual Asset Identifier (GIAI)
The Global Individual Asset Identifier is one of the two GS1 Keys for asset identification.
Companies can apply a GIAI on any asset to uniquely identify and manage that asset. This could be a computer, desk, vehicle, piece of transport equipment, or spare part, as just a few examples.
- Companies assigning the GIAI can be either the asset owner or a leasing or rental company.
- The GIAI can be encoded in a barcode or EPC/RFID tag connected to the asset. Companies can quickly identify the individual asset, and register relevant data such as its location as well as repair and maintenance activities.
- Applied electronically, the GIAI enables a company to record individual assets in asset management and accounting systems across company boundaries.
You will find relevant application standards and guidelines listed below:
Transport & Logistics
- GS1 Identification Keys in Transport & Logistics Guideline
- GS1 Identification Keys in Transport & Logistics - Interactive User Guide
- GS1 General Specifications