FIC regulation EU 1169/2011
New EU law on food information to consumers
|A visual guide to understanding the new regulations (PDF)|
The new FIC (Food Information to Consumers) EU regulation 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers changes existing legislation on food labelling including:
- Mandatory nutrition information on processed foods
- Mandatory origin labelling of unprocessed meat from pigs, sheep, goats and poultry
- Highlighting allergens e.g. peanuts or milk in the list of ingredients
- Better legibility i.e. minimum size of text
- Requirements on information on allergens also cover non pre-packed foods including those sold in restaurants and cafés
The main elements of EU 1169/2011 came into effect from 13 December 2014 and products manufactured after this date that fail to comply cannot be sold in-store, in restaurants or cafés or online. There are a number of transition measures with later dates for declaring specific information, including mandatory nutrition.
Who does EU 1169/2011 apply to?
The new regulation affects those selling pre-packed food and drink. The regulation centres on the information you provide your customers at the point-of-sale, in particular, allergen and nutritional information.
The impact of the regulation is being across all stages of the food supply chain that involve providing customers with food information, including:
- Food manufacturers
- Food retailers
- Multi-channel retailers
- Catering organisations
- Food service
- Food distributors
- Upstream suppliers
European Commission information on EU 1169/2011 -
To help understand the status of the industry’s journey toward compliance, we commissioned Campden BRI to provide quarterly snapshots of progress leading up to 13 December 2014, when the regulation came into effect.
Each quarter a basket of 20 samples were analysed, with the focus on a different range of product categories and compliance areas. You can read our reports here.
- Campden BRI Marketplace snapshot - April 2014 (PDF)
- Campden BRI Marketplace snapshot - July 2014 (PDF)
- Campden BRI Marketplace snapshot - October 2014 (PDF)
Need more help?
We can provide help and support to understand the new regulation and what you need to do to ensure ongoing compliance.