Identifying branded products for Google Shopping
Google use GTINs to understand exactly what you’re selling. By uniquely identifying your product, they can connect what your product is and how it relates to others, helping them to serve your product for the most relevant searches.
Early experiments indicate that offers matched to the catalogue receive up to 40% more user clicks than those that do not.”
If you list your products on Google Shopping, you’ll need to include a GTIN if your products are:
- Sold in the UK, Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, or the US
- In a ‘New’ condition
- Brand-named products (not a generic non-branded product)
- Assigned a GTIN by the manufacturer or brand owner
- Sold by more than one merchant
For products sold in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, India, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden and Turkey, unique product identifier attributes are recommended but not mandatory currently.
If your products meet these criteria, adding GTINs can boost your ad's performance by:
- Adding valuable details about your product
- Serving your ad in a more relevant way to users
- Placing your ad in more places across Google, YouTube and partner websites
Early adopters who have added GTINs to their product data have seen conversion rates increase up to 20%.”
Do you sell your own brand products?
If your products don’t already have GTINs Google doesn’t require you to assign them. However, if you’d like to start selling your products on other marketplaces, such as eBay and Amazon, or in stores then these channels will require you to give a valid GTIN to list your products.
Making sure you – as the brand owner – assigns your product’s unique identifier is best practice for product data management. This ensures you are in control of the accuracy and legitimacy of your product’s data, maintaining your brand integrity.
What you need to do
To start assigning GTINs to your products, you’ll need a GS1 Company Prefix. Follow the three easy steps below to get started.
- Join GS1 UK online
- Receive your own unique GS1 Company Prefix
- Start assigning GTINs to your products
Once you’ve got your GS1 Company Prefix, you’ll be able to login to our marketplace seller’s portal, which has tools and services to help you manage your numbers and grow your business.
- My Numberbank – helping you to store and manage all the GTINs you’ve assigned to your products
- Barcode image generator – create barcode images quickly and easily – and we’ll give you three free credits to get you started
- Services - we’ve selected partners that can help you improve how you trade online
- Support and guidance – we’re here to help you so if you need any help with implementing our standards, or how they can help your business grow – get in touch
Why choose GS1 UK?
You’ll receive an official GS1 certificate, giving you the peace of mind that your numbers are uniquely yours
|Get up and running in minutes
Sign up online and you’ll be able to start assigning your GTINs in minutes
|Training and education
Get access to our Academy - webinars, online training resources and classroom sessions to suit your needs
|Over 40 years’ experience
We’ve been helping companies identify their products since the very first barcode was used back in 1973
|Use them on Amazon, eBay, Google and other marketplaces
Your GTINs will be valid for all the major marketplaces
|Free support by phone or online
Our support team is here to help you on your journey as your business grows
|Manage your GTINs online
Use My Numberbank to help you create, store and manage all of your GS1 numbers – for all of your products
|Add value throughout your business
For most of our members, GTINs are just the first step. GS1 standards can save your business time and money
|Be part of the global trading community
Over 2 million companies use GS1 standards worldwide
|Turnover||Annual licence fee||Joining fee||Allocation|
|up to £0.50m||£119||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£0.5m to £1m||£131||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£1m to £10m||£203||£140||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£10m to £50m||£318||£200||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£50m to £100m||£1,200||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£100m to £250m||£1,500||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£250m to £500m||£2,000||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|£500m to £1bn||£2,500||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|Over £1bn||£2,900||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
All prices exclude VAT