Selling on eBay? We’re here to help you with the new product identifier requirements
If you need a GTIN to identify your products on eBay, you’re in the right place.
From June 2015, eBay started to roll out the use of product identifiers on listings – making it quicker and easier for buyers to find your products on eBay and search engines.
Retailers have been using our Global Trade Item Numbers or GTINs to identify their products for 40 years - they’re the numbers you see under a barcode.
What do you need to do?
We’ve made it as simple and easy as possible. It takes just a few minutes if you follow these three steps to assigning unique identifiers to your products.
- Join GS1 UK online
- Receive your own unique GS1 company prefix
- Start assigning GTINs to your products
Once you’ve joined, you’ll have a login to our marketplace seller’s portal, where you’ll find tools and services to help you to manage your numbers and grow your business.
- My Numberbank – where you can easily create, store and manage all of your GS1 numbers for all of your products
- Barcode image generator – if you require a barcode image for your product, you can create them quickly and easily – and you’ll get three free credits to start you off
- Services - provided by a selected range of partners, you’ll get easy access to other services you may need to help you trade online
- Support and guidance – because selling online and on marketplaces can be tricky, we’ve got all the help and support you need to make sure you use GS1 standards properly
Why choose GS1 UK?
You’ll receive an official GS1 certificate, giving you the peace of mind that your numbers are uniquely yours
|Get up and running in minutes
Sign up online and you’ll be able to start assigning your GTINs in minutes
|Training and education
Get access to our Academy - webinars, online training resources and classroom sessions to suit your needs
|Over 40 years’ experience
We’ve been helping companies identify their products since the very first barcode was used back in 1973
|Use them on Amazon, eBay, Google and other marketplaces
Your GTINs will be valid for all the major marketplaces
|Free support by phone or online
Our support team is here to help you on your journey as your business grows
|Manage your GTINs online
Use My Numberbank to help you create, store and manage all of your GS1 numbers – for all of your products
|Add value throughout your business
For most of our members, GTINs are just the first step. GS1 standards can save your business time and money
|Be part of the global trading community
Over 2 million companies use GS1 standards worldwide
|Turnover||Annual licence fee||Joining fee||Allocation|
|up to £0.50m||£119||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£0.5m to £1m||£131||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£1m to £10m||£203||£140||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£10m to £50m||£318||£200||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£50m to £100m||£1,200||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£100m to £250m||£1,500||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£250m to £500m||£2,000||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|£500m to £1bn||£2,500||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|Over £1bn||£2,900||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
All prices exclude VAT
Why are eBay adding product identifiers?
Traditional retailers use GTINs to manage their inventories and serve their customers as quickly and efficiently as possible. And, that’s exactly how they will work on eBay. With over 900 million listings worldwide, GTINs are giving eBay better information about what’s listed on their site. They’re going to be using that information to:
- Drive more buyers to eBay
- Help buyers to find the items they’re looking for faster
- Increase buyer engagement with more relevant offers
- Inspire buyers to purchase more
How will it benefit you?
- With better understanding of what’s listed on the marketplace, eBay can list your products better
- With more information, eBay will be able to give more insights on how to optimise listings for particular products
- By adding structured data to a product listing, it’s visibility will increase on eBay and across the web
- More buyers who are more engaged will mean more sales – enhancing and growing your business
Already a GS1 UK member?
If you’re already a GS1 UK member then you can use your existing GS1 numbers for your products on eBay. And you can manage them in our online database, My Numberbank. Just login and start using it today.