Selling on Amazon? Then you need GS1 numbers
If you want to list a product on Amazon, for most product categories, you’ll be asked to add a product identifier – GTIN, UPC or EAN – for your product.
These numbers help you to uniquely identify your product, something that Amazon needs you to do so that they can improve the quality of their product catalogue. By doing this correctly you can help to maintain the high quality shopping experience buyers have come to expect from the Amazon marketplace.
What you need to do
To start assigning GTINs to your products, you’ll need a GS1 Company Prefix. Follow the three easy steps below to get started.
- Join GS1 UK online
- Receive your own unique GS1 Company Prefix
- Start assigning GTINs to your products
Once you’ve got your GS1 Company Prefix, you’ll be able to login to our marketplace seller’s portal, which has tools and services to help you to manage your numbers and grow your business.
- My Numberbank – helping you to store and manage all the GTINs you’ve assigned to your products
- Barcode image generator – create barcode images quickly and easily – and we’ll give you three free credits to get you started
- Services - we’ve selected partners that can help you improve how you trade online
- Support and guidance – we’re here to help you so if you need any help with implementing our standards, or how they can help your business grow – get in touch
We recommend obtaining your EANs/UPCs directly from GS1 (and not from other third parties selling EAN/UPC licences) to ensure the appropriate information is reflected in the GS1 database.”
Why choose GS1 UK?
You’ll receive an official GS1 certificate, giving you the peace of mind that your numbers are uniquely yours
|Get up and running in minutes
Sign up online and you’ll be able to start assigning your GTINs in minutes
|Training and education
Get access to our Academy - webinars, online training resources and classroom sessions to suit your needs
|Over 40 years’ experience
We’ve been helping companies identify their products since the very first barcode was used back in 1973
|Use them on Amazon, eBay, Google and other marketplaces
Your GTINs will be valid for all the major marketplaces
|Free support by phone or online
Our support team is here to help you on your journey as your business grows
|Manage your GTINs online
Use My Numberbank to help you create, store and manage all of your GS1 numbers – for all of your products
|Add value throughout your business
For most of our members, GTINs are just the first step. GS1 standards can save your business time and money
|Be part of the global trading community
Over 2 million companies use GS1 standards worldwide
|Turnover||Annual licence fee||Joining fee||Allocation|
|up to £0.50m||£119||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£0.5m to £1m||£131||£75||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£1m to £10m||£203||£140||Up to 1,000 numbers|
|£10m to £50m||£318||£200||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£50m to £100m||£1,200||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£100m to £250m||£1,500||£250||Up to 10,000 numbers|
|£250m to £500m||£2,000||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|£500m to £1bn||£2,500||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
|Over £1bn||£2,900||£250||Up to 100,000 numbers|
All prices exclude VAT
Why do Amazon need unique product identifiers?
Just like traditional retailers, Amazon use product identifiers to manage their product catalogue. By complying with industry-standard product identifiers for your listings, you can
- Improve the quality of the Amazon catalogue as a whole
- Promote confidence in the range of products depicted
- Contribute to a high-quality experience for customers
How will it benefit you?
- GS1 identifiers are used by all of the major marketplaces – so if you get the basics right up front, it will be easy to grow your business
- Drive more traffic to your listings. GTINs help Google to know more about your products and how they relates to others – which means your ads serve in a more relevant way
Already a GS1 UK member?
If you’re already a GS1 UK member then you can use your existing GS1 numbers for your products on Amazon. And you can manage them in our online database, My Numberbank. Just login and start using it today.