GS1 SmartSearch is a key initiative to make it easier to discover and describe products on the Web. This GS1 web vocabulary offers a way to make structured factual information about products available to computer software, including search engines and smartphone apps.
What is GS1 SmartSearch?
This is a new web vocabulary standard and a set of guidelines offering an easy way for web developers to embed structured product information in web pages so that:
- Products are uniquely identified using a GS1 Global Trade Item Number (GTIN).
- The GS1 Global Trade Item Number is linked to associated machine-readable product information that other software can “see”.
- Other software (such as search engines and smartphone apps) can easily integrate the product information in their services.
We have been working with our members, standards organisations (e.g. W3C) and search engines (e.g. Google) - in a key initiative to make it easier to discover and describe products on the Web.
How does GS1 SmartSearch work?
- It defines a web vocabulary that can be used to make factual information about products available to computer software, based on unique identification through the GTIN that is already used by manufacturers to identify their products.
- It has a rich set of product attributes that were developed by working with industry leaders and serve the needs of the industry.
Benefits of GS1 SmartSearch
- Improved search results (on retailer websites and external search engines).
- Products appear higher up in search results.
- Search results display product information more clearly.
- Consumers can more easily find where they can buy products.
- Products are easier to find in other digital channels.
Better brand image in the digital world
- Better consumer experience when shopping online.
- Consumers find what they want more easily.
- Good quality product information shared more consistently across different websites.
Find out more
Use this web site to navigate through examples that will help you understand how GS1 SmartSearch will work, then consider joining our project as a proof-of-concept partner.