The Food Service Information Challenge
‘The Food Service Information Challenge’ report by the Food Services Director Group (FSDG) reveals that the industry needs to collaborate to address the issue of inaccurate information head on.
FSDG, a strategic industry group within GS1 UK, is working towards achieving a common approach to overcoming key sector challenges. Members include senior directors from leading food service organisations including: Brakes, Mitchells & Butlers, Unilever, Whitbread and Compass.
What’s driving this is:
|Increasing demand for information – nutritional and allergen, safety, lifestyle, ethical
||Food and product safety and impact on the environment in the UK and Europe
||Systems & processes same as when the market was smaller and less dynamic|
All these requirements have one common thread, ‘the increasing requirement to provide up-to-date and accurate information’ for all parties. It is more important than ever to ensure the sector has the right product with the right information in the right place at the right time at the right cost.
The Food Service Directors’ Group (FSDG) commissioned GS1 UK to research the flow of information in the Food Service supply chain to:
- determine how accurate it is; understand where there are opportunities for improving information
- recommend methodologies to meet growing demands
- to take advantage from the considerable benefits
The report concluded:
- food manufacturers, operators and suppliers need to work together to make it easier to do business through identifying, capturing and sharing consistent information
- develop best practice and implementation guidelines and work with industry members and partner organisations to support their adoption
Download the infographic
Download the full report