Make your business processes faster and more accurate – over 20 sectors use GS1 Bar Code standards
A bar code represents numbers or letters in a machine-readable format that can be
decoded, recorded and processed by a computer system when read by a bar code scanner.
The data in the bar code can automatically identify their physical things like trade
items (products & services), assets, logistic units, shipments, and physical
locations and relationships, parties and locations at any point in the supply
GS1 provides several types of barcodes that can be used for a variety of
The retail industry benefits from the use of bar codes to:
- capture sales data for forecasting. Loyalty programmes and replenishment
- automate pricing and remove the need to apply pricing labels
- improve supply chain efficiency on outer cases and pallets
GS1 DataBar is a new bar code that is being introduced by GS1 for use in the
retail sector. It is smaller or can encode more information such as expiry dates,
batch numbers, prices, weights and more. Find out more about GS1
The food services sector benefits from using bar codes to:
- lower costs and increase efficiency by knowing exactly where assets are and where they have been
- speed up and improve the way you do business with your suppliers
- improve food and product safety by keeping a track of products in the supply chain and save money at the same time
- improve data quality for a speedier, more efficient supply chain
Healthcare organisations benefit from using bar codes to
- improve patient safety
- reduce errors
- save money through improved efficiency.
- improve care and security of patients.
- verify identity of patients.
- tackle counterfeit drugs.
All trade items (products & services), assets, logistic units, shipments, and
physical locations and relationships, parties and locations need an identification
number. GS1 UK's bar code image generator will help you create your
bar codes to GS1 standards. The type of bar code you need depends on what you need it
for - consumer units, logistic units or traded units, for
Join GS1 UK
Read more about what you get when you become a member and how much it costs.
Ready to join GS1 UK - just complete the online application and start using your bar codes today.